Friend messaged me after: “OMG, Lomes, how was it???”
“7.5/10,” I said. “Next time will be INFINITELY better.”
But I’m still HELLA proud of myself.
Because bravery always pays off.
Let me share 17 lessons I learned the brave way:
- It’s your choice if you have a “chin” or a “double chin”. Choose your camera angles wisely.
- Intros need 60 sec limit. Longer & you release the dogs.
- Always talk about pig memes & condom commercials. #BrotherMayIHaveSomeOats
- Give people a pee break. Or they will get a UTI. And Voodo Doll you.
- Create “early leaving” + “late coming” protocol ahead. If Zacariah needs to leave ½ hour early for his cousin’s Bar Mitzvah, tell him not to announce it.
- People like to “discover” rather than “consume” ideas. Give a meaningful example + ask them to derive the principle. A game!
- What you write on the internet lives forever. One lovely chick was like “I liked your potato article.” Oh god! I totally forgot about that…
- Learn. I wrote this article at 10:56pm, 7 minutes after I got off the class. Took a nice long piss. Had a sip of agua. Then asked myself “Okay, babe, what can we learn from this?”
- Have a cheerleader there. Friend/ advocate who loves you unconditionally. Appoint “joke laughers” “head-nodders” and “wide eyed listeners”. Get one to be your co-producer who can shuffle you along if you don’t stick to outline. Remember the peeps who showed up & supported you early before you became Tony Robbins.
- The best jobs in the world can be done in your Christmas snowflake PJ pants.
- Appoint your most engaged students your co-teachers. Your own voice starts to sound like an Italian lesbian after a while. (Love Italian lesbians just...)
- Put your juiciest best stuff early. Time FLIES like a rabid squirrel. Subtract 7 mins of prepped content/ attendee. Tighten your outline (asterisk most important shit) so you can quickly cut on the spot.
- Massive Imperfect Action wins. They will forgive you for improving. As they did young Drake.
- Don’t blow smoke up anyone’s ass. Your expertise means you have a bigger clearer vision for others than they may have for themselves. Tell people what they need to hear (with <3).
- Everyone must mute when they’re not speaking. (Thanks Murphs) Or you’ll hear someone’s dog. Barking over your wisdom.
- Politeness is for fuckers. If you can’t hear someone, say so. Others can’t hear them either & they’re being polite too. You need to woman up. Be impolite & interrupt them for everyone else’s sake.
- Do a Skype call with your grandma first to check your hair. One hair out of place & it’s cringe-worthy to watch back. Don’t go radical on the side part. PLEASE learn from my errors.
(A Couple Bonuses… Since You Stuck Around!)
- You can practice in your dungeon forever but eventually you needa stab that dragon in the throat. If people wanna watch, tell them “gather around.” Show your process. Be a work in progress IN FRONT of people.
- Don’t invite your ego to the debrief. My brilliant mama and sis gave me a deep de-brief. Like PAGES of notes. They were spot on about everything they said. Also, I’m feeling brave enough for feedback. If you attended, please PM it to me. And I will graciously happily accept.
- You only have to do your awks 1st time once. Thank you Jesus.
- Commit publically to what you needa learn & get mad yourself when it’s too late to chicken out. You learn rapidly when it’s high stakes & you’ve thrown yourself in. I didn’t have Zoom until 2 days before.
- Creepy OkCupid Message Group Analysis= a MUST.
- Your best is enough. Even if your future best will be better. People messaged me with gratitude after. People will be moved by your work if it’s sincere, thoughtful & helpful. And if it’s rough around the edges? Chill the fuck out.